There’s nothing like waking up on a Saturday morning to the smell of pancakes.
Well, some of us can’t exactly wake up to it, because, well, we’re making em – but it’s still an amazing smell to have wafting around your apartment.
If you love pancakes and you love cornbread, this is the recipe for you. Fell free to throw in any of your favorite fruits – blueberries are what I had on hand at the time – these pancakes are delicious, and you honestly can’t go wrong with anything you put in or on em!
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- sea salt
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk*
- 2 eggs, separated
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup blueberries
- In a bowl mix together flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, and salt
- In a small bowl add butter, brown sugar and cinnamon, then melt in the microwave, and leave to cool
- In another bowl, add the buttermilk, egg yolks, melted butter mixtureand vanilla extract. Whisk lightly.
- In a small bowl (yes, you’ll use a lot of bowls lol) beat the egg whites until peaks form
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ones and mix until just combined. Then fold in the egg whites and berries
- Place ban over medium-low heat and fry the pancakes – about 2-3 minutes on each side, or until bubbles start to appear on the surface of the pancake.
- Smother with maple syrup and enjoy!!
*If you do not have buttermilk, you can make some! Just use whole milk and add a tsp of white vinegar per cup. Leave it to sit for about 10 mins before you add it to your batter!